Often referred to as “The Innovation Doctor,” Dr. Summer Knight has an expansive set of experiences that informs her unique approach to healthcare issues. As a professional, she’s held key executive positions in F100, Government, startup & high-growth entrepreneurial environments. In healthcare, her perspectives are informed through her experience as a firefighter/paramedic-turned-physician, patient, and sandwich-generation caregiver. Knight’s passion is Humanizing Healthcare.
Dr. Summer Knight is the Managing Partner of Firecracker International, a healthcare organization bringing new solutions to market with the goal of Humanizing Healthcare. Most recently, we launched FirecrackerHealth, whose flagship solution is a consumer-centric Virtual Healthcare System that is white-labeled by health organizations.
Knight is a well-respected ‘Strategy-to-Implementation’ Leader with strong business development skills exemplified by success in corporate and venture capital leveraging large distribution channels to rapidly expose new innovations to market. Knight has executive experience as CEO, Chief Medical Officer (State of Florida and corporate), Head of Strategy, Business Development, and Innovation. Knight contributes value to companies in Strategic Planning, Innovation Leadership, Problem Solving, Business Development, and consulting c-suite and decision-making executives. She enjoys working at the cusp where large corporations and entrepreneurial ventures unite to create scalable innovative solutions, leverage distribution pathways, and create capital funding streams for rapid growth. She has impacted over 85 companies.
Summer is a dynamic, inspiring speaker and has been a corporate spokesperson covered on television, newspapers, magazines. She is a best-selling author of Win and a frequent writer on the Editorial Board for Healthcare Transformation Magazine. Knight is a Leadership Expert on Multi-Dimensional Success. As an Adjunct Professor and Executive-in-Residence at the top-ranked Fox School of Business, Temple University, Knight has taught hundreds of students creative thinking and innovation.
LEADERSHIP & INNOVATION
Proud to work beside these talented teams, Knight held the following innovative leadership positions:
- Strategic Head of Digital Brands, Aetna – as part of the Healthagen Private Equity-M&A team, managing a portfolio of 10 Digital Health Companies.
- National Medical Executive, Innovation Leader, and Spokesperson on Intrapreneurism, Cigna – working with F1000 corporations to improve workforce productivity and population healthfulness impacting corporate profitability and shareholder value.
- Chief Medical Officer, State of Florida Agency for HealthCare Administration (AHCA) – supported the Governor as a member of the AHCA Executive Team in-state and into DC influencing 2.3 million lives, $14B in health care spending, healthcare organization certification, physician licensure, and fraud and abuse unit.
Successful Serial Entrepreneur of digital health SAAS-models, healthcare entities, socially driven international security, education, and an investor; when faced with a problem, Dr. Knight has chosen the path of entrepreneurism to institute visionary change:
- FirecrackerHealth, Founding CEO – with the passion of Humanizing Healthcare, FirecrackerHealth sources best-in-class digital health technology, staff, and services working with industry clients as a Trusted Partner to transform the Patient Experience by delivering a consumer-centric Virtual Healthcare System improving quality, access, and outcomes while managing costs
- Healthy Company Consortium, Advisory Board Member
- IntegriCor, Founding CEO – digital health SAAS-model streamlining payments, safety, quality, patient satisfaction, and eliminating fraud and abuse. Acquired by Sandata where Knight became the EVP and Chief Medical Officer.
- Rural Community Health System, SVP of Medical Affairs & ER Medical Director – member of founding team for this hospital roll-up with business model transformation creating a more efficient rural hospital safety net facility to meet community needs
- Destin Urgent Care, Operating Partner – one of the original Urgent Care Centers in Florida
- Andalucía, Strategy and Finance Partner – security and real estate company in Honduras established to protect a new middle class community catalyzed by international employment opportunities giving initial investors 3x ROI within 2 years
- Innovative Family Medicine Practice – built technology-enabled practice, leveraged telehealth, and founded Women’s Center at Bond FHQC
- Belle Capital, Limited Partner and Healthcare Advisor – fund investing in women-led companies
- Success Schools, Founding Board Member – a service organization developed to help failing schools. Acquired by Chicago Growth Partners in
their Education Portfolio Roll-up.
- Current Motors, Series A Investor – fleet of electric motorcycles that arrive in an 8-unit 18- wheeler trailer that opens to a solar-power station
- Springboard Enterprises – 2005 Alumna, 2011 Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Healthcare Advisory Committee. Springboard Enterprises is a network of 675 women-led companies that have collectively raised $7.8 billion and conducted 15 IPOs.
- Goldman Sachs Scholar – 2017 10kSB
BOARDS AND COMMITTEES
Summer Knight has supported multiple organizations on Boards and Committees including founding board member of StartUp America PA and served on the Executive Committee of the Society of Physician Entrepreneurs PHL. Dr. Knight founded the State Government Physician Leadership Council, was appointed by the Governor to the FCCRAC, served on the board of the Florida Dialogue on Cancer; the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee at Capital Health Plan; and the Quality Practice Management Committee and the Governmental Affairs Committee with the Florida Academy of Family Physicians.
Dr. Knight is active in philanthropic and community affairs serving as a college Trustee, a member Leadership Tallahassee, founding member of the Oasis Center for Women and Girls, board member of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and the Advisory Committee of Fostering Achievement Fellowship Program. She has received the Outstanding School Volunteer Award for Gilchrist, volunteered with Cornerstone Learning Center, Refuge House and the Governor’s Mentoring Initiative.
A LOVING HUMAN
Summer is a proud family-member and parent. Summer loves to have fun, inspire people to succeed, and facilitate transformation in organizations and the people who are part of them.